Thursday, May 17, 2012

Ok... so today I had 2 appointments at Albany Medical Center.  I was scheduled for an echo cardiogram in the morning and a PET scan in the afternoon.  So I wake up at 5am and by the time I came to my senses it was like 7am.  I was hungry but because I had to fast for the PET scan for eight hours I could only drink water.. SO I fasted all day. The echo was no problem.. jelly on my chest and the tech using the echo probe to get the images and measurements needed.  The echo is done because the chemo can stress the heart out and we need to be sure my cardiac system can handle it. 
Came home and relaxed.  With a a PET scan you cannot do anything strenuous.  So it's 1:15 and Andrew drove me in.  It's a good thing I work at the VA because I just park there and walk across the street to AMC.  I get checked in and after a few minutes I get called in.  They give me an injection of radioactive glucose to trace and I have to drink the barium shake.. which really was not that bad..  Then you sit for an hour and relax.  After the hour you are brought into the scanner room.  Much like a CT scanner.  A huge mechanical donut..You lay down and put you arms above your head and stay still for like 30 minutes as the scanner shoots pictures of your insides.  The toughest thing was keeping my hands held up.  They started to cramp at the end.  So then Andrew drives me home and we order Pizza, wings and garlic knots.. yummy !!   Now I'm relaxing for the evening watching my favorite show.. The Big Bang Theory..  

No comments:

Post a Comment