Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Part 1 of round 1.. Checked into NYOH about 8:30am.  Was escorted into the transfusion were my wife knows one of the  nurses..  My nurse gave  me some tylenol and when the needle was inserted into the port (which did not hurt much at all).. I received a drip of NaCL and Benedryl.  Next cam the Rutxan.  Because it' a monoclonal antibody the body can have a allergic response to the drug.  And that's just what happened.  I started to feel flushed and my cheeks (the ones on my face) were red, so my nurse turned off the drip for a few minutes.  Once restarted the infusion continued for a while but I became flushed again and we had to stop again.. This time the nurse hung some steroids and I felt better faster and we continued..  The last thing that happened was Cathy noticed a rash on the inside of my leg. What she was doing looking at the inside of my  leg... IDK. So my nurse hung some more benydryl and the rash went away very quickly.  The drip was continued and I finished around 2:30pm..
Mom and Joe came in and hung out with us.  There were a number of other folks in the room but the three nurses in the room did an excellent job of caring for their patients.
I'm home now.. I ate.. and am relaxing.. I feel pretty good.
Tomorrow I check into the Oncology unit at St. Marys for an over nighter to get the rest of the treatment.  After I get out I rest for a couple of weeks.  Next doctor appointment is 6/11 and to schedule Round 2 around 6/18 if my counts are good.
Just a bump in the road..

No comments:

Post a Comment